PRESS RELEASE February 19, 2014
Contact person: Cookie Powell (707) 678-0442, email@example.com
- April is Child Abuse Awareness Month and the Month of the Child.
- It is time again for the Dixon Advocates for Children and Youth (DAC) Logo Contest.
- DAC is a committee of Dixon Family Services and at their last meeting the Advocates agreed on a theme for 2014 – “30 Years for Safe & Happy Kids”.
- The theme for this year will bring more attention to the fact that Dixon Family Services has been working for 30 years to keep this community’s children safe and healthy as well as to reduce incidences of child abuse/neglect.
- The contest is open to all Dixon youth, from preschool to high school seniors.
- In keeping with the theme, young artists who participate in the logo contest might imagine and draw a scene in which they are doing something safe or healthy.
- DAC encourages artists to use bright and bold colors in their drawings as it needs to look good on a T-shirt. The Grand Prize winning artwork will be used to decorate Dixon Family Services/DAC 2014 T-shirts.
- Each year the Logo Contest is held in the months of February and March to find creative artwork for DAC T-shirts that will go on sale in April to increase awareness of the needs of Dixon’s youth.
- T-shirts will also be sold at the Dixon Community Block Party, scheduled for Saturday, April 26 at the Women’s Improvement Park.
- Entries are available at Dixon Family Services, 155 North Second Street. Parents or youth interested can request an entry form via email firstname.lastname@example.org, on the Dixon Family Services website www.dixonfamilyservices.org or by stopping by the DFS front desk during business hours. Download here: Logo Contest 2014 Entry Form
- Last year the grand prize winner was Tremont Elementary School 6th grade student, Valerie Ruiz, who was 12 years old. Her artwork depicted a scene supporting the 2013 theme “Fun Can Be Free”.
- First, Second, and Third place winners will be chosen in several different age groups and prizes will be awarded to them all.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive a T-shirt with his or her design, and a gift certificate for dinner for the entire family.
- This is the 19th year for this contest. 2014 marks 30 years that Dixon Family Services has been in the business of improving the lives of children and their families.
- Each year Dixon Family Services sponsors this logo contest as part of their campaign to promote health and safety for the children of this community.
- Anyone wishing to see all the winning logo T-shirts can do so by visiting Dixon Family Services. There is an entire wall of framed shirts from all years past.
- The Grand Prize winner will be announced at an April Dixon City Council meeting, which is also broadcast on local cable TV.
- Deadline for turning in entries is Thursday, March 20th. Entries dropped off after the end of that day cannot be considered.
- Turn in all entries to Dixon Family Services, 155 North Second Street.
- Questions: Please call Dixon Family Services at (707) 678-0442.
Dixon Family Services Reminds Families in Need to Come for Food this Thursday
Dixon Family Services will hand out holiday and staple foods to those who need it on Thursday, December 19. Applicants are asked to bring some form of proof they reside in Dixon. The qualification process has been simplified this year so it will be a short visit to the southeast door of Dixon Family Services for all on the 19th. Food will be distributed between 10 AM and 4PM. People are encouraged to not all come at the beginning of the day so that they won’t have to wait long.
It is thanks to the generosity of this community that we are able to provide these groceries to families and individuals in need. In addition to many individuals who have brought us food or written us checks, there have been numerous food drives and collections coordinated by businesses, schools, clubs and churches including United Methodist’s Annual Food Fight, Church of St. Martin in Davis, Dixon LDS Church, Dixon 4-H, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, CISF Honor Society of CA Jacobs, Cool Patch, Altec Industries, Lincoln Creek Apartments, Operation Gobble and the CC/Solano Food Bank.
Families in our case management, parent education and mental health programs will also benefit from the Solano’s Finest toy and coat drive. Dixon Family Services thanks everyone helping us to fulfill our mission of improving the quality of people’s lives in Dixon.
Those interested in helping with the food distribution should email email@example.com.